We all run into creative ruts. You stare forever at a screen or piece of paper with nothing coming to you. But you have to create something, so you push through. Next time this happens, try taking a little break to reboot your creativity.
Here are some quick and easy tips to refresh your mind and get your creative juices going again.
- Meditate on Something Specific – close your eyes and think of a single thing over and over again. It can be a motivational quote, the idea of success, a tropical island, whatever puts you in a calm and positive mood.
- Let Your Mind Wander – The same, but the opposite. Close your eyes and just let your mind wander. Don’t try to focus on any one thought, just let your mind bounce around from thought to thought and see where it goes.
- Take a Nap – You may just be sleep deprived. Other than getting a good night’s rest consistently, try taking a 20-minute nap. You’ll feel rejuvenated and your mind a lot more focused.
- Listen to Music – Music has amazing affects on the brain. Listen to something that has complex beats or melodies, or try classical music for optimal creativity.
- Go Outside – Take a stroll outdoors and absorb some sunlight and fresh air. Try going to a place with lots of grass and trees – and allow you eyes to focus on the greens and blues around you – which are colors that help enhance creativity.
- Write or Doodle Anything – Take a pen and paper (physical, not on a screen) and start jotting or doodling whatever comes to mind. Don’t worry about lines or grammar or anything, even close your eyes and do it.
- Go Somewhere Else – sometimes you’re just too used to the same environment. A change of scenery could be just what you need, so try moving to a different room or different building. Try a coffee shop, the lounge area of your office or home, or just simply outdoors.
Do you have any other great ideas for quickly boosting your creativity? Let us know!
I’m a web designer, marketing consultant, and the creator of this site. You’ll find me reading in coffee shops or snowboarding down mountains.